Anitha is one of our past #PowerHack participants and currently a Product Developer at Traction Complete. PowerHack is a hackathon event organized by IEC-BC and our employer partners. Anitha shares her experience as a PowerHack participant and advice she has for newcomers looking to integrate into the BC labour market.
Q: How did you first learn about IEC-BC?
- I completed the TechWomen program offered by ISS of BC in 2018. I received career support for the next six months after program completion from my TechWomen instructor, Sarah Rolling. I learned about IEC-BC’s PowerHack event through Sarah. A big thank you is owed to her.
Q: What has been the most rewarding part of being involved with PowerHack?
- I received opportunities to meet with employers one-on-one because I participated in PowerHack. These meetings landed me a job in one of my dream companies, Traction Complete. The microlearning sessions at the event complimented my existing technical skills and have improved my presentation skills.
Q: Can you tell me some of the biggest challenges you faced as a newcomer looking to integrate into the BC labour market?
- The biggest challenge I faced was adjusting to Canadian communication styles and gaining work experience in my new home.
Q: What advice do you have for other newcomers looking for work in Canada?
- I believe you will be able to gain Canadian work experience if you are skilled in your field. Address every success and failure as part of growth in the bigger picture. I tell newcomers to BC’s labour market to keep focussing and work hard for their goals. I would also advise them to participate in plenty of networking events and look at increasing their skills in a specific domain that they feel is holding them back.
Q: What inspired you to pursue a career in technology?
- I had a personal interest in computers from an early age. I started to learn more about technology as I grew older. This passion paved the path for my career choices.
Q: Any advice for newcomers who are interested in participating in PowerHack?
- My advice for newcomers is that employers are looking for how much you can learn in a short amount of time. There is no such thing as winning or losing at the event. What is important is that you complete the assignment and present your solutions to the employers.
PowerHack is a virtual hackathon event from the Immigrant Employment Council of BC that allows employers to connect with highly skilled immigrant talents in the Information & Technology sector.
Interested in changing the lives of immigrant professionals? To learn more visit, https://powerhack.ca/.